Showing Your House To Sell for Top Dollar
When you know a showing is scheduled, you can put some last minute touches on your property and spot clean for maximum impact before the buyers arrive. This extra effort can make your home more inviting and appealing, get it sold more quickly and at a better price. The following tips have proven invaluable to sellers and are worth your special attention.
Showing your home…
- When you leave the house in the morning, or during the day, leave it as if you know it is going to be shown (many agents don’t call until the day of showing).
- Make the house smell fresh with potpourri or simmering pots or candles. (Go for “clean” smells rather than florals)
- Make sure all the lights are on.
- Let the sun shine in. Open window treatments and blinds.
- Make the beds and remove items from the floors.
- Wipe down the counters, sinks, tubs and faucets.
- Keep the kitchen counters uncluttered and remove dishes from the sink.
- Clean up after your pets. Clean litter boxes frequently and vacuum pet hair.
- Turn off loud, noisy and disturbing television or radio shows. If possible, play soothing background music like jazz or an easy listening station. Keep the level low to avoid disturbing the buyers.
- Keep pets out of the way – preferably out of the house. Many people are uncomfortable around some animals and may even be allergic to them.
- Leave your premises. Take a short break while your house is being shown. Buyers are intimidated when sellers are present and tend to hurry through the house. Let the buyer be at ease, and let the agents do their job.
- If you have to stay – step outside – buyers need to feel free to look. Do not engage the buyers. The agent knows the buyer’s requirements and can better emphasize the special features that may appeal to the buyer.